Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rachel is soo....hip hop right now


Yes, I am a Gold's Gym member, and for some reason I just can't seem to kill that old high school drill team spirit...the one that makes me want to shake it to rap music and what not.

For the past six months, I have been hip-hopping once a week to cliche rap tunes and I love it. You ask, "Wait, aren't you white, 5'10'', and incredibly awkward?" The answer is yes and although this formula makes for a terrible hip-hop dancer, my amazing incredible dancer teacher (former Cougarette and Odyssey star) who is pregnant, somehow thought I was capable enough to teach the class and asked me to substitute for her occasionally.

I said yes. I am a push-over.

Tonight it began. I started the class with the usual...some pushups, situps, and a little bit of stretching. I then taught 8-sets of 8 of choreography using "Gimme More", "Tipsy", and "Low (aka Apple Bottom Jeans)" as my main tunes. What else would I use? duh. The class started out with 3 people; Lisa, the nice mom with the penciled (more like drawn-on) eyebrows, and the two Korean boys trying to learn English. Two girls my age came in shortly after. They were all angels and I'd say the class was a success.

I'm teaching again soon and hoping to get a few more people out to the class. Either way, it's been fun/funny re-living my high school drill team days.



(me in the center about the pull off an awesome extension. I'm sure you can imagine how ridiculous I am at hip-hop by looking at the intensity in my stare.)

3 comments:

brynne frei said...

You are totally hip hop. Relive those glory days all you want girlfriend and let me know the next time you teach so I can sneak in. I love blogging with you haha

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you little rachel!! i neeeeed to go!! i'll bring a camera and take pictures while you teach :)

Jenna Robert said...

You'll never know how grateful I am that I ended up in Lyle's classroom that winter.