Sunday, March 16, 2008

Halestorm Movies: A Disgrace


Although I have discussed with individuals, many of whom have grown up outside of Utah, who absolutely LOVE Hale Storm movies (i.e. Single's Ward, Mobsters and Mormons, Baptists at Our Barbecue, Money or Mission, Suits on the Loose, and Church Ball), I can hardly express my disdain for these movies. I must admit that some elements of the movies are overly-exaggerated truths; however, these movies have given Utahns and outside states people alike a skewed perception of what life as a "Utah Mormon" is like.

Yes, I have met people that fit the stereotypes illustrated in the movie; however, the "Single's Ward" mentality is not the norm. Many may disagree with me on this topic, but I have met far too many people that think Single's Ward = reality in Utah. I guess that's for each person to decide for themselves. And I'm sure no one else feels as passionately about this as I do.

P.S. - On another note, I loved the movie The Best Two Years. Maybe because I haven't been on a mission. A great movie though.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I'm officially stalking your blog.

at least I admit it, right?