Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Expecto Patronum!!!

As I was walking home from a late class on campus this evening, I noticed that the air around me became unusually cold. As all of us Provolonians know, it shouldn't be forty degrees in April! I observed the students that passed me by, many of them looking sad and depressed. I felt "as though I'd never be happy again." The sadness in the air was almost tangible. Unusual cold + sadness? There was only one possible answer to this puzzle - Dementors.

Luckily, I have read every Harry Potter book and seen every Harry Potter movie, so I knew exactly what to do...conjure a patronus of course! For those of you who are most unfortunate to have not read the Harry Potter series, a patronus is an "incarnation of the caster's innermost positive feelings, such as joy, hope, or the desire to survive. A Patronus "cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so Dementors can't hurt it." Harry Potter's famous for his patronus which is represented by a deer (or stag).

So I'm sure you can imagine my relief when I saw five deer (patronuses, partoni?) walk past me on campus. Being an animal-lover, seeing the deer certainly lifted my spirits after a long day.

You've may or may not have already guessed the symbolism behind this story. Dementors = FINALS, depression, sadness, COLD WEATHER IN APRIL, etc. The patronus = A little bit of relief.

I've learned a lot, but I'm glad this semester's almost over. Expecto Patronum!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

another reason why I love you.